Thursday, 17 December 2009

Projectile Vomiting, Priest Baiting

I watched The Exorcist for the first time last night, and it appears to have become one of my firm favourites as I have to resist quoting dialogue (especially since I find myself wanting to quote possessed Reagan, and I work with children. Not good mixing, bad chef!)

It is an extremely effective movie which I feel has dated only slightly. I love the effects, Reagan's head rotating three sixty is up there in my book along with the American Werewolf in London transformation scene, the head on legs in The Thing and the final change from human to insect in The Fly.

It seems a pity that special effects rely so much on CGI these days, as for all their zazz and zing its still so, well so flat. It just does not have that substance that anamatronics have, plus its pretty obvious that the actors are performing to green screen.

This is not to say that I hate CGI, far from it. It is extremely useful for outrageous stunts and scenery, but its come to the stage where its being used too much, its being relied on to solve every problem of production rather than finding the right way to solve it. Its the Magician's hat, and we can't see the damage we're doing.

Adding The Exorcist to my Amazon wishlist, now.

No comments:

Post a Comment