Tuesday, 1 December 2009

The Sound Of The Story...

I've just tried to order Abney Park's new album Aether Shanties, but have been thwarted by Paypal (grr! Argh! Nash nash!), so will have to wait until sometime in the future before I get that cd. In the meantime, I shall just have to make do with the other four I've got. Witness the pouty face of sulkdom...

The reason I am in this current state of ire is that I have chosen Abney Park to be the soundtrack against which I will write the aforementioned steampunk story, being a rather excellent steampunk band and a jolly crew of airborn pirates, and I need to hear their new stuff so that I can be inspired. I've also chosen Disturbed, but can't enthuse about them as much. Metal. Cool. Throwing the horns.

Music is usually the avenue I take when I need some inspiration. I got the core idea for my steampunk story by listening to a song by Disturbed, called Sons of Plunder, which immediately pulled from my soggy mass of neurons the image of my main character. Splendid! i thought. Now I just need a plot...perhaps this song will give me a plot...

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that music is my muse, and as muses go, its pretty reliable. Most of the time.

Oh, and Abney Park are cool. Climb aboard the airship and see for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment